Thursday, November 3, 2011

What does "TV" mean to you?


I'd like to start this one with a poll.  Leave your answers in the Comments, and please include your age.

     How much "TV" do you watch:  On your Television?  On your computer?  On a mobile device?


     What do you watch the most:  Movies?  Sports?  Traditional network shows (ABC NBC etc)?       Subscription shows (HBO)?  Kid's shows?  Educational programming?  No pattern, whatever interests you?

The vast majority of my own viewing is on my computer.  It's either movies or kid's shows, with subscription shows mixed in, as long as I can watch them for free online (Wilfred anyone?  Always Sunny.  Community.)  Watching scheduled shows on network or cable TV is of absolutely no importance to me.

My actual Television Set is powered "on" when my child watches a DVD.  OH!, and I had it on for a half hour in August when I was drained and found a cute little anthology about Westerns on some channel....public television piggybacking on the Cowboys and Aliens movie.

Back when I had a free Comcast DVR, I loved it, and watched a lot more TV because of it.  Since giving that up, my viewing habits have dropped off and changed quite a bit.

(Now, I get annoyed when I can't watch a newly released movie for $4 on my computer.  Or for any price on my computer - -Why isn't it offered?  I get more annoyed when I see movies that came out 2 or more years ago categorized as "new arrivals" on Netflix...gimme a break.)

"This is all almost interesting, Scott.  What's the point?"  Point is, that as a 35-year-old male, I'm gonna say that I'm at the tail end of a generation that watches, or watched, TV on an actual television, using an over-the-air or cable signal.

None of this should be news to anyone.  Over the last several years you might have read articles from adverntureous technology writers who tried to consume media only over the internet for one week.  Now it's common and easy.  Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, Vimeo, etc etc etc.

So please, take my Poll, leave your answers in the comments, and please include your age:


     How much "TV" do you watch:
On your Television?
On your computer?
On a mobile device?



     What do you watch the most:
Movies?
Sports?
Traditional network shows (ABC NBC etc)?      
Subscription shows (HBO)?
Kid's shows?
Educational programming?
No pattern, whatever interests you?




I am participating in a November blogesphere event over on Tuesdays With Deborah. November is National Novel Writing Month, so several of us have committed to blogging something like 100 words a day.  My apologies in advance :)
Til tomorrows entry…

No comments:

Post a Comment