Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Simple Is as Simple Duz

I'm probably not to say this "as a video professional," but I am continuously blown away by iMovie.  Windows Movie Maker too, for that matter.

Here's where this is coming from.

I found an old MacBook Pro on CL over the weekend.  It had the specs I wanted, so I picked it up and now I'm as portable with everything as I want to be.   As I was updating the software, iMovie updated.  And the current version looks quite different from what I would dumpster dive down to a couple years ago.  But it's still simple.  It's still intuitive.  It still lets the home movie-maker get the movie made with as few headaches as possible.

Those in the blogging group already know that I like things to be kept simple.  While there's something to be said for the small business owner who learns every in and out of Final Cut Pro or Premier so that they can represent their business, that's a lot of brain bandwidth, and that's kind of silly.  If you're selling widgets, sell widgets really well so that you can let someone else help you advertise widgets.

Most people walking down the street are never going to consider editing the videos they shoot.  And why should they (simple)?  There are few things more beautiful than a single piece of video with zero cuts.  That's why we appreciate movie directors who know "how to move the camera."

If you are walking down the street and have a sudden urge to edit video, you have two very accessible very simple ways to do it.  iMovie and Windows Movie Maker.

Why should you edit?  Because nobody gets it right the first time.  And few people have time to do 30 takes.

I'm in Portland currently thru Thursday night.  I'm going to do some simple video blogging while I'm here.  I'm going to use two methods:  1) webcam with iMovie, and 2) smartphone with iMovie.   (I'd use Windows Movie Maker, but my PC doesn't have a webcam....and therefore it gets more complicated than necessary for a blog.)

I still have little to no idea what these v-logs will be about, but that's normal.  If you've read this far you know that I have no idea what this blog post is about, yet I'm almost done with it!


I am participating in a November blogesphere event over on Tuesdays With Deborah. November is National Novel Writing Month, so several of us have committed to blogging something like 100 words a day.  My apologies in advance.
Til tomorrows entry…

No comments:

Post a Comment