Friday, December 16, 2011

Mac or PC? non-question

I spent way too much time weighing the options today...PC or Mac?  Mac or PC?  Turns out it doesn't matter.  Get what does what you need it to do.
stuff
17" MacBook Pro
Dell / Alienware
Already have MS Office 2010 PC…$200 for Mac version

x
Already have Final Cut Studio 2007
x

Adobe CS 5.5 will run on both/either….$2600
x
x
Webcam standard
x
x
Standard backlit keyboard
x

Graphics Card
AMD Radeon
Supercharged
Price
$2,549
$2,699
Processor
2.4 quad i7
2.4 quad i7
hard drive
750
750
First, that's a high price to pay for convenience.
Second, Mac wins in my little charade.  I was really gunning for PC.  I honestly weighed so many options so many different times that the chart probably isn't a perfect representation.  My last attempt was just outfit a Dell PC with as close as possible to the same specs as the Mac.
Question I asked yesterday was, "Why would a video guy consider PC over Mac?"  
§  I do not feel that the Mac towers I've used since 2007 have performed as well as PC's that I have maintained.  Yet they cost a lot more and their specs are crazy high powered.
§  I bought into the concept that Mac is a closed off world.  According to my chart above, that is incorrect.
§  Apple's focus since the iPod has been gadgets; web appliances.  I'd love to run After Effects and Photoshop on an iPad, but as far as I know, I can't yet.
§  I have been locked into the idea that I can get a similar PC for a far lower price than a Mac.  Not the case.  Research today, chart above.
So, it looks like when I do consolidate, it will be a Mac.  I can plug ancient Final Cut Pro into a Mac, not a PC.  I can still run MS Office, Adobe CS 5.5, and all my other little software odds and ends on a Mac.
Now, there's the other question: What if I didn't have to travel with full video editing capabilities?  I could quite honestly get away with only using my iPhone.  Or my Windows Phone.  Or my Droid.
So for now, stickin' with what I gots.  Re-evalute when it comes time to make life convenient.
Scott Bell - - MediaDesignSeattle.com - - BLOG

No comments:

Post a Comment