Sunday, June 26, 2011

Final Cut Pro X - digging deeper

Don't worry, this one is shorter.  

Since posting my first FCPX notes, I've read a lot more about the new app, and what the pro facilities think about it.  FCPX is simply not useful for pro facilities in their current workflow.

I think it will be very useful, and reinvent the workflow, within the next five years.  The number one issue that I see is the lack of XML and the ability to share projects between edit bays.

One comment that I read jokingly talked about using FCPX on his iPhone.  My thought is, that's not a joke.  Another comment talked about (semi-quote) "To share a project I'd have to hand over my entire computer."  My thought is, why not?

Let's lose the idea of networked edit bays for a moment.  Move forward 5 years.  Your pro facility is running the latest version of FCPX (at Apple's pace five years should equal version 1.5, lol) on iPads...25+ inch screens, 500+ gigs.  C'mon, they'll be lightweight....you can set them on easels if you want.  If you need a different editor to work on a project, you hand off your tablet.  To back up your footage, you plug into your highspeed network or whatever version or idea of "cloud" exists, and drag n drop.

Technology grows exponentially.  Today's smartphone or tablet easily works with video much much Much faster than my 11 year old mac G4.  The possibilities that FCPX opens are huge, and we'll be in that reality before you know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment